Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Spending Log...

Things I've learnt so far this month, from my Spending Log & Coupon/Stockpile Journey

  1. I spend Way Too Much on fast food. I will be trying to leave for shopping right after we eat, that way we won't be hungry. My plan is to pack a "car snack bag" filled with some snacks/drinks that would hold us over. And possibly some sandwiches in a cooler, if I know we are going to be gone too long.
  2. Getting started stock-piling is not easy. It's sometimes hard to watch money goes towards something I don't need Right This Minute. Even if it's pennies on the dollar compared to full price. In time, I know I will reap the benefits. Just getting started though, whew.
  3. I've saved more this past week than I have in previous whole months. I can't believe I've saved over $400 in Grocery/Household items so far this month!
  4. Making the decision to start my Coupon binder was a Great Idea! I know exactly where to find coupons, can view them quickly and it makes me "feel" organized.
  5. I plan to expand my Spending Log. That will help me see how much of my savings is: [a] just CVS [b] just Walgreens [c] other grocery/household (not including all other categories, ex. Clothing)
  6. After talking with a good friend [who I think should start blogging too=) ] about her recent trip to Sam's club, I think I may give it another try. [After all, it has been YEARS since I've been inside a Sam's.] But only if I can find my coupon that entitles me to a free visit, or if I can find another one. I want to make a trial run before I decide whether or not it's worth the yearly membership fee, and the gas to drive all the way to B'ham. It will definitely be a once monthly or so trip.
  7. Not all coupons are worth using. If it's a product that I don't usually use and wouldn't miss, getting 40cents off $4.99 isn't worth my time. Unless I can work up a really good deal at CVS or Walgreens. =)
  8. You shouldn't wait til mid-week to go to CVS/WAGS. You will miss some of the deals, because ... they will be out. Yes you can sometimes get a rain check, but when I have my transactions already planned out, it messes everything up when something isn't stocked.
  9. People will either be Amazed at your savings, or totally Resistant. Don't ask me why someone wouldn't want to learn how to save money. I'm always amazed when I read other blogger's savings stories. And if I can help one person start their savings journey, then I've done something good!

My current breakdown

(I will start fresh in September with more categories)

Spent on Grocery/Household - $416.17

Saved on Grocery/Household- $420.91

50% SAVINGS!

2 comments:

I too have realized that if I want to get the good deals (freebies or costs next to nothing) then I have to go the day they change their prices! Otherwise, they are out of what it is that I'm after!!

Seems I'm not the only one in the area that is into this!

Oh and I'm right there with you on #2. (ewwww that sounds a little yucky!) But I too get a little sick to my stomach when I spend money on 6 bottles of shampoo, even if I am getting them for only .49 a bottle, when we aren't in need of them at the moment!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home